Wednesday, September 21, 2005

JUST SIT RIGHT BACK

Yesterday was a big day in my life - Gilligan's Island Season 2 arrived on DVD via mail.
I'll tell ya, it's one of the greatest sitcoms in the history of TV. What I love about it is they are on an uncharted Island, yet dozens of other people - Harold Hekuba, the Mosquitos, the Russian spy - seemed to find that joint no problem. How come the coast guard could never get there? Oh well.

The death of Bob Denver was quite sad. He was a fine actor, do you think they could've given him a better sendoff at the Emmys? I mean, Denver has done something few have - been the leading character in two major TV shows (Dobie Gillis, the Island, and you can even count Far Out Space Nuts if you wish). Not many folks have done that. Bill Bixby did Eddie's Father, My Favorite Martian and the Hulk. Ted Danson? Nah, Becker was OK, but not major.

The Giants-Saints game was quite an experience Monday. I have to say, after being in a stadium full of Giants fans that they and Yankee fans are the same people. Here's the profile. 1. Generally stupid. 2. Extremely obnoxius. 3. Know nothing about any other team than there's. 4. Have no respect for any human being not rooting for their team. 5. Believe they have something to do with their team's success, even the titles won 70 years ago.

Now, this is not aimed at the Giants/Yankee fans ages 40 and over. This is to all the 20-something knuckleheads who think making fun a dude who lost his house to a hurricane is funny.

That's all for now.

3 comments:

Pete said...

Cat,

Don't forget the Russian cosmonauts or the Harlem Globetrotters. This was one of my favorite all-time shows growing up, probably even ahead of Dukes of Hazzard, but close behind "Emergency."

Any mention of it now, however, begs the question: Ginger or Mary Ann?

Joependleton said...

You know, I was always a Mary Ann guy, but watching some of Season 2, it's clear Ginger's a complete whore and I'm sure a Tiger in the hammock.

Harold Hecuba said...

Hey, great blog! I just started one too. And Gilligan was awesome! He got me through lots of boring days working in the TV dept at the Super K. I like when he would run really fast -- I wish I could've done that. Then I maybe coulda got a track scholarship instead of working at Super K.

Party on!