Monday, July 16, 2007

TIP OIF THE ICEBERG

The top 10 favorite bar list is taking more time than I thought. It's an intense selection process, so it may be a few more days before it's posted.

In the meantime, a few thoughts from FNC.

I went to an ice cream place the other day and on the counter was a tip jar that said something to the effect of "college tuition fund." Naturally, being the sucker I am, I dropped all of my spare change in there and left.

Of course, the more I thought about it, the more I got wound up.

First of all, if you a really trying to save up and go to college, get something better than working in an ice cream place. I mean mow lawns in the heat for the summer or work road construction.

Second, if you need my spare change to pay for college, you got some huge problems.

Anyway, it really got me thinking about this whole tipping thing. Remember when I got screwed by the fridge repairman? Well, since then and this ice cream thing, I've taken a whole new approach _ NO TIPPING EXCEPT FOR WAITERS, WAITRESSES AND BARTENDERS and DELIVERY PEOPLE.

First, I'll explain why I'll tip those four: As for waiters and waitresses, I used to work at a Bennigans, and I know that's about 90% of their income. Plus, they are making sure you get your order right and your food on time. As for bartenders, I'm generally against tipping them, especially when all I get usually is a bottle of beer, but let's be honest, if you don't tip a bartender - especially at a busy bar - you could get shutout and that sucks. As for delivery dudes, thanks to them I get to sit on my ass, so what's a nickel or two?

Now, here's my take on other places:

Why is there a tip jar at Starbucks & Dunkin Donuts, but not one at McDonald's? Honestly, what the difference between going to Starbucks and getting a coffee or going to McDonald's and getting a soda from the drive-thru? It's the same thing.

As for food places. One night, Mrs. Pendleton and I got take out from Carraba's or something like that and when she got back from picking up the food, I asked her is she tipped the guy who handled the order. Her response, "Do you tip the person when you pick up Chinese food?" I didn't have to answer the question.

As for other service workers, a question, Have you ever considered tipping the dude who pumps your gas? Of course not, so why should you tip anyone else? Do you tip the dude at the supermarket deli who cuts the cheese for you (sorry, I couldn;'t resist)? Of course not.

That's all for now. I have to go tip the deliver dude.

One final thing, and you heard it here first on July 16 - THE METS WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Bar list coming soon.

Beer count off the charts,

No comments: